Wooden Chopping Board Care
All our wooden chopping boards are made from kiln-dried European or English oak, and will contain a low level of moisture that ensures the wood is as stable as possible with a minimal risk of cracking or warping. Wood is naturally hygroscopic, meaning that its moisture content varies depending on local humidity levels.
When you receive your board, it will have been comprehensively treated with an anti-bacterial oil which not only protects against bacteria but also inhibits the ingress of moisture.
In order to maintain the beauty and durability of your board it needs to be oiled frequently. The frequency depends on how often you use your board. If you use it every day (which you should!) as a guide, the following applies:
“Oil it once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and then once a year for the rest of your life.”
We recommend the use of a food-safe white mineral, which may be purchased from us or from most hardware or DIY stores.
Purchase our Board Care Mineral Oil
Follow the oil manufacturer’s instructions paying particular attention to engraving and draining grooves.
Ensure all faces and edges of the board are thoroughly treated.
Follow these guidelines to ensure your board provides many years of service:
- Wash the board with warm soapy water
- Oil the board regularly – you can not cause any damage by over-oiling
- Store the board on a flat surface (not on its edge)
- DO NOT leave items such as cheese on the board for long periods as the moisture can get into the wood and stains may develop.
- DO NOT immerse the board in water or wash it in a dishwasher
- DO NOT subject the board to significant changes in temperature, e.g. by placing it on a stove or radiator
If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us.